I feel like I am learning a lot these past 2 or 3 weeks since my reinvention part II has started. First lesson: The thing you sacrifice first when you have a "real" job is the time you spend taking care of yourself. You cut yourself short on that precious time that you need so much to keep your sanity - like going to yoga classes, spending time with friends, traveling, quiet time by yourself, doing your art, music, whatever it may be. You time. And with that you sacrifice a big, big part of your happiness. I find that now that I'm unemployed I'm actually a much happier person. Probably because I finally have time to take care of myself again. Real quality time.
Second lesson: Don't panic. Trust that everything happens for a reason. Sit back and listen, then take your time to figure out what you really want to do with your life and do that. So many incredible things have happened to me since my work broke up with me. I feel like my path found me. It's weird. And recently, every new contact I'm making has something to offer to help me along my way, too. It's such a gift. There's so much love out there. Just tap into it.
Third lesson: Believe in yourself, even if others don't. It's your life and your choices. You have to live with them, not them. So you'd better just do what you love. You cannot live your life just to live up to someone else's expectations. Set your own expectations and live up to those. Dream. Dream big. And then make it happen. Because you can.
Fourth lesson: Stay positive. Recently I got to spend some time with my friend Jon. I witnessed a series of misfortunes that happened to him over the span of maybe a week. And through it all, he kept smiling. I don't know how he does it, but let me tell you, it makes all the difference. He doesn't allow the bullshit to get him down. I am entirely inspired by that attitude. And it puts everything into perspective. What seems so tragic may not be all that bad after all. So keep smiling. Because "where ever there's a shadow, there's always a light" (Jonathan Sexton).
And the most important lesson: Just live. Live, live, live, live, live. You're likely here only once. And all you have is the present moment. So enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment