May 24, 2011

Thunderstorms and Nightmares

Last night I was woken up by a thunderstorm around 4:30 am. First the power went out. But lightning produced a crazy light show in my room. Am I at a rave? Then the hail started, first small little pebbles followed by the occasional golf-ball sized bang on my roof that sounded like it was going straight through my roof. I live on the top floor, so I get all the roof action. First thing I always worry about is my car, so I got up, looked for my flashlight and checked on my car through the window. I was too afraid to go outside. It looked like the end of days outside. Complete darkness interrupted by lightning, tree limbs in the yard, trees bending sideways...the thought that this might be the predicted rapture just a couple of days late crossed my mind.

Then I panicked about the possibility of a tornado sucking me up in the air. Where would I hide? I’m on the top floor, and all my rooms have windows. Maybe in the laundry closet? But instead I went back into my bedroom and hid under my covers. I guess if a tornado comes for me I’m screwed regardless. But wait: should I change clothes? Because what if they dig me up and this old vintage nighty that somewhat resembles a hospital gown is all I’m wearing. Do I really want to die in this? I should definitely hold my phone. I could turn on my GPS and then they could track me down in the debris using the GPS. I think. Shit, should I turn my GPS on now? But it drains my battery so fast. Maybe I should wait until something actually happens. But then what if I cannot turn the GPS on because my arm is buried under bricks?

So much to think about when you’re anticipating the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment